Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Children's book project



















For the last few days I have been working on a children's book that was inspired by a dream my son was having when we were toilet training him. In his dream there was a shark living in our toilet. I have been mulling this idea around for a year and started the pictures in pencil and watercolour. I was never quite satisfied with them and a fellow Toronto artist and teacher - Ed Shawcross had a look at them and suggested that I am an oil painter and should paint these images in oil. Well Ed - I could kiss you because this little idea I have been tossing around has now turned into 20 rocking little paintings. (Ed is currently working on a website and just wowed me when we met for coffee a while back. He can draw the human figure from his head with outstanding accuracy - I was in awe watching him work out my drawings and show me where I could improve them.) Thanks Ed!
I will post more on this book once I am finished. I am pleased with how it is panning out and my son is so excited now that he can see the pictures.

9 comments:

  1. wow! sounds very wonderful and exciting! can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting project. Good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy,

    This is super exciting and I can hardly wait to hear more about it and see more paintings. Way to go... and I love this toilet shark!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam - this is the BEST! I just laughed out loud when I saw it. Full of spirit and personality. And very fresh looking. This is going to be great. PLEASE post more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool!! I hope you have better luck publishing than I have. Great idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, This is very exciting news and I love that cute illustration painting. Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now if that doesn't prevent a child from potty training!! LOL Can you image? I am so excited that you are writing and illustrating a children's book, Tammy. It is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tammy
    What an exciting project for you and I can just imagine the eagerness of your little boy. I love children’s books and often go to that section when I visit bookstores. With your wonderful imagination and spontaneity you will have a great time with this!!! I look forward to seeing this in print!
    Happy painting!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Tammy your son has a great imagination. Great painting and looking forward to the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete