Thursday, September 12, 2013

Gordon Harrison Art Retreat: five paintings

 Here are the five paintings I completed at Gordon Harrison's Art Retreat. I love the colour and loose brushstrokes that Gordon uses in his work so for the entire week I challenged myself to work using his methods rather than concentrating on coming home with 5 masterpieces. Believe me it was hard to set aside my way of doing things and embrace someone else's methods but I am so glad I did. I learned so much from Gordon and now I am excited to get back into the studio and see how my week with him is going to impact my next paintings.
Things I learned:
-planning is a good thing (I am not much of a planner when I paint)
-a broader more complicated colour palette is challenging and fun (I tend to keep to a limited palette - Gordon noticed and LOL took away all my crutch colours - thank you for pushing me Gordon!)
-don't let things get too fussy (something I am always striving for)
-Gordon took away my palette knife and I held the brush ala Gordon and Rene Richard and I am a convert
 This painting sold to a fellow artist at the retreat!
This one was Gordon's favourite of the 5 paintings I did. He liked the limited palette - different from his palette.
 I really pushed my use of colour in this one - it got a little complicated :)
Per Gordon, this one is my most successful.

4 comments:

  1. I love all of them, especially the complicated one. They are all wonderful. I love his colours, and yours, and the combo is wonderful. You rock!

    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara - it was a wonderful week of painting and I think I have grown as an artist. Now to put all I learned into action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Tammy and thank you for sharing his link. I have had fun looking at his work. Enjoy your growth; what you created during the retreat is impressive. It will be interesting to see how it impacts future paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all fresh and colorful Tammy. You obviously were working hard and seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete